Modern Address Book mock-ups...

Mike Conley mconley at mozilla.com
Thu Oct 27 15:23:37 UTC 2011

Hey Ben,

 > ? As pointed out in the "multiple phone numbers" bug, we need both
 > predefined fields like "work mobile", and freeform fields like "Vacation
 > house in Sweden". The predefined fields are not just strings, but have a
 > meaning for the computer, and will be used for the corresponding
 > standard fields when exporting to VCard, syncing to Android or similar.
 > Esp. for phone numbers, email addresses and street addresses, because
 > they are often standardized.

Yeah, some field types are just not supported by some contact sources
too.  Blake and I were discussing this, and while the local contact
could possess the customized field type, we might have to have a
fallback for sources that don't support arbitrary field types.  And then
it's also a matter of communicating with the user that the fallback was
used.

 > - Can you make first and last name 2 separate columns? That way, I can
 > look via either last or first name. Some people I know mostly by first
 > name, some mostly by last name (culture in France, Germany), and if the
 > first names are lined up vertically, I can more easily skim them

Interesting idea - I'll give it a shot for my next design iteration.

 > - I need to keep separate areas in the address book, for private, work,
 > mozilla, and other hobbies / contexts.

So that's where Contact Groups comes in.  Essentially, we can tag a
contact to belong to one or more groups.  A contact source (like a
Google contacts account, an LDAP server, the Windows address book) gets
its own contact group.  Contacts that are connected to a source can be
found in the associated group.  The user can also create their own
groups, for things like "mozilla, hobbies, etc".  I don't believe we'll
support actual nesting of these groups - though it's simple enough to
nest them yourself with the group names:

"Hobbies / Kites"
"Hobbies / Programming"

etc.

 > - I don't really understand the UI design with the multiple data
 > sources, per field.

Yep - this is probably the trickiest part of the UI, and I don't think I
have it right yet.  I was the user to realize that they're editing a
field, and that those changes will be propagated across writable sources
that are connected to that field.  I also need to be able to tell the
user when a source cannot support a change to a field (like when the
field type is unsupported).  I'll be taking a closer look at this during
my next iteration.

 > ? Suggestion: Can we link 2 Contacts? I often have both wife and husband
 > separately in my AB, because they have different email addresses and
 > mobile phones, but they share the fixed line phone number, street
 > address etc. I don't want to duplicate this. Also, when I can't reach
 > the husband, I often try the wife (e.g. dad doesn't answer, so call
 > mom). We need a solution for this. A link could solve that cheaply. It
 > would also help me remember the name of the spouse, if I forgot.

That's a very interesting idea.  I agree that being able to link
contacts with some kind of relationship would be useful.  Thanks!

-Mike