Modern Address Book mock-ups...

Ben Bucksch ben.bucksch at beonex.com
Thu Oct 27 12:56:43 UTC 2011

On 26.10.2011 19:47, Mike Conley wrote:
> All:
>
> Just a heads up - I've been pumping out UI mock-ups for the address
> book work I'm doing, and I'd love to hear your thoughts:
>
> http://breakingtheegg.tumblr.com/post/11876838758
> http://breakingtheegg.tumblr.com/post/11908257789

In general, looks good.

+ It's good that you don't use the "business card" layout. That would be
very impractical when having many contacts
+ It's great that I can add arbitrary field groups and fields, and that
there are preselections, which I can edit. I often need custom fields,
where I record data that many contacts have, but there's no standard
field for it. Your UI design for that looks great.
? As pointed out in the "multiple phone numbers" bug, we need both
predefined fields like "work mobile", and freeform fields like "Vacation
house in Sweden". The predefined fields are not just strings, but have a
meaning for the computer, and will be used for the corresponding
standard fields when exporting to VCard, syncing to Android or similar.
Esp. for phone numbers, email addresses and street addresses, because
they are often standardized.

- Can you make first and last name 2 separate columns? That way, I can
look via either last or first name. Some people I know mostly by first
name, some mostly by last name (culture in France, Germany), and if the
first names are lined up vertically, I can more easily skim them

- I need to keep separate areas in the address book, for private, work,
mozilla, and other hobbies / contexts.
- In some cases, within the area, they are further separated, e.g.
departments, tags or similar, and I need to select that when looking for
a person. E.g. I need a way to see other columns in the overview. For
example company, group, or any other field I select. Alternatively, I
could have hierarchical groups and drill down by mouse.

- I don't really understand the UI design with the multiple data
sources, per field.

? Suggestion: Can we link 2 Contacts? I often have both wife and husband
separately in my AB, because they have different email addresses and
mobile phones, but they share the fixed line phone number, street
address etc. I don't want to duplicate this. Also, when I can't reach
the husband, I often try the wife (e.g. dad doesn't answer, so call
mom). We need a solution for this. A link could solve that cheaply. It
would also help me remember the name of the spouse, if I forgot.