Improve extension APIs for TB

Ben Bucksch ben.bucksch at beonex.com
Wed Oct 26 17:25:51 UTC 2011

On 26.10.2011 19:17, Kent James wrote:
> What I have never been able to figure out though is how to have any
> hope that such input would actually result in some concrete work being
> done by someone other than myself or the author of the comment.
> Everyone with time to give to the development process is just
> super-busy doing something important, and has no hope for the
> foreseeable future of taking on anything new.

That's why I proposed this route. The way dev happens is that somebody
in management decides something is important, and puts developers on it.
Typically, that's a bigger task.

Extensibility is recognized by TB management to be both important and
improvable, but I think they don't know where to start.

If we have a concrete set of things that need improvement, and is a good
list, the points that pain the most and are the most commonly needed,
that'd be great. Yes, the list would sit there for some time. My hope is
that somebody, after a few months, either a volunteer or somebody from
TB management, picks it up and says, "hey, this would be a really useful
way to improve Thunderbird", and just starts working, and then he has a
concrete list of things to work on that have a real effect, instead of
just guessing in the blue.

Well, that would be the ideal outcome, at least. We can try :)

Ben