Improve extension APIs for TB

Kent James kent at caspia.com
Wed Oct 26 17:17:06 UTC 2011

On 10/26/2011 7:40 AM, David Bienvenu wrote:
> I've been working on making the backend more scriptable and extensible
> (e.g., making msg sending scriptable, and not require an nsIEditor,
> paving the way for rkent's SkinkGlue, etc) but it would be great to
> figure out other high leverage improvements, to enable extensions to
> do things they could not do before.
Looking forward to pluggable stores!

I can think of lots of ways that we might get input about changes needed
by addon authors. I review most of the TB-only addon updates, so I have
regular contact with the active addon authors. Perhaps I could look for
code patterns that seem to be workarounds and post those somewhere, or
include some standard boilerplate in addon review messages asking that
addon authors make similar comments.

What I have never been able to figure out though is how to have any hope
that such input would actually result in some concrete work being done
by someone other than myself or the author of the comment. Everyone with
time to give to the development process is just super-busy doing
something important, and has no hope for the foreseeable future of
taking on anything new. And yet the things they are crazy busy doing
today they weren't doing a year ago, and somehow there was a process
that decided that they should take on that important task they are doing
today. But that process, whatever it is, is a complete mystery to me,
and does not seem to be something I have any power to influence. (That
may not be true in fact, but this is my perception.)

So to me the first question is not "how do we figure out other high
leverage improvements", but rather "is improving extension APIs a high
enough priority that it will visibly result in real development effort?"
Who makes that decision, and how, and can that decision be influenced?
If the current status is "everyone is busy doing really important
things, so there is no hope of putting any resources to this" then I am
better off spending my time writing patches to fix my own pain points.

Like the way that new accounts are deleted if there is any problem
creating them. I must have entered by Twitter credentials 100 times
already into Thunderbird/TweeQuilla. That would be an easy fix, but I am
too busy doing really important things to get to it ;)

rkent