Extra Folder Columns and featurectomies

Kent James kent at caspia.com
Fri Oct 21 23:05:08 UTC 2011

On 10/21/2011 3:42 PM, Jim wrote:
> An add-on used by ~7% of users, even after prompting them to install
> it, doesn't fit the bill for me.
A corollary of that argument might be that we should remove any feature
from TB that is used by 7% or less of the users. But there is a problem
with that.

How many features does the average user actually use? If  the product
has hundreds of features, and the users are fairly randomly distributed
in use of the features, than if you were to remove all features that
less than 7% of the users use (which would probably be at least half of
the features), then I would guess that the statistics would show that
you would affect >99% of the users.

So there seems to be an underlying assumption that the vast majority of
users use a small subset of core features, and only that subset. I would
think that reality is that the vast majority of users use at least a few
rare features that would affect them severely if removed.

This is also a critical marketing question. Is Thunderbird positioned as
easy-to-use, but with limited features, or  are you trying to be the
application that can do everything?

But I guess we can continue this discussion when some real data from
Test Pilot exists.

rkent