Extra Folder Columns and featurectomies

Jim squibblyflabbetydoo at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 22:42:59 UTC 2011

On 10/21/2011 05:17 PM, Kent James wrote:
> Along similar lines, the Folder Pane Switcher addon now has 600 users to
> restore a feature that was removed beginning in 8.0
>
> How many users run beta or newer currently?

There are a little under 19,000 users on 8.0 or higher. However, there
are a few other features in that add-on aside from just unhiding the
folder pane header. In fact, the add-on is compatible with 3.0+, so I
doubt all 600 users are on 8.0+. Not having access to the add-on's stats
though, I can't say for sure what the version distribution is.

In any case, I don't think we should *ever* bring back the folder pane
switcher, since even for people who used it, it wasn't a very good UI;
the next/previous buttons were pretty obnoxious unless you were lucky
enough to use two folder views that were adjacent to one another. There
are other alternatives though, such as adding the folder view picker to
the folder pane's context menu or making an optional toolbar item that
people can add to their mail toolbar.

- Jim