Extra Folder Columns and featurectomies

Kent James kent at caspia.com
Fri Oct 21 16:24:00 UTC 2011

I just saw an update for the addon Extra Feature Columns, that reversed
a featurectomy of a few years ago. That addon now has 280,000 users!
This is a massive count for an addon.

It seems to me that is a pretty strong statement against that particular
featurectomy. Only a fraction of users use addons at all, so this
massive user base tells you that a pretty large number of TB users
wanted that feature.

At what point does the user voice trump an old mistaken decision so that
the feature gets re-installed in the product? Standard8 seems to have
taken over the maintenance of this addon, so it has to be more work to
maintain the feature as an addon rather than have it in the core
product. And any feature that is useful to such a large fraction of
users should be in the core product.

rkent