Feature discoverability

John Hopkins jhopkins at mozilla.com
Wed Oct 5 15:17:05 UTC 2011

On 11-10-05 01:50 AM, Jonathan Protzenko wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've noticed some interesting patterns in the vast amount of feedback
> I'm getting through Conversation's feedback mechanism, and I thought
> I'd share some points.
>
> First of all, many users are completely unaware of the threaded mode,
> and think that Conversations provides the threaded mode. This is a
> very recurring phenomenon, which worries me. We have a threaded mode,
> it's great already without conversations, and people do not discover
> it. Is there any way we could make this feature more discoverable?
> Some ideas:
> - in the start page, add a "did you know" section with screenshots on
> how to enable various features (threaded mode, grouped by date) (that
> sounds very 1990-y, and reminds me of the light bulb pop-out dialog on
> MS products),

I think random "tip of the day" or "did you know" tips work well,
particularly for software with a lot of options (Thunderbird!).  It's a
great way for users to become familiar with a product bit by bit.

Instead of random tips, we could prefer showing tips pertaining to the
user's most-used workflows (eg. address book, or composing in html
tips).  In that case, the start page probably wouldn't be a suitable
place (since it wouldn't know the user's workflow).

We could also prioritize showing tips on new features ahead of older
features.  "Did you know... you can provide feedback to Thunderbird
developers? Click Tools | Feedback"

I'd prefer a native dialog for showing the tips as the added flexibility
would be useful: workflow related tips, Help system integration, works
offline, etc.

Lots of potential here!

John