Feature discoverability

Jonathan Protzenko jonathan.protzenko at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 08:50:31 UTC 2011

Hi,

I've noticed some interesting patterns in the vast amount of feedback
I'm getting through Conversation's feedback mechanism, and I thought I'd
share some points.

First of all, many users are completely unaware of the threaded mode,
and think that Conversations provides the threaded mode. This is a very
recurring phenomenon, which worries me. We have a threaded mode, it's
great already without conversations, and people do not discover it. Is
there any way we could make this feature more discoverable? Some ideas:
- in the start page, add a "did you know" section with screenshots on
how to enable various features (threaded mode, grouped by date) (that
sounds very 1990-y, and reminds me of the light bulb pop-out dialog on
MS products),
- create a dialog that pops out the first time a user installs
thunderbird, asking "how would you like to read your email?", showing
various screenshots, and providing options for group by sort, view
threaded, etc.,
- add a notification bar that shows up after the user has started
thunderbird for the N-th time, and provides them with a way to see the
aforementioned dialog.

What do you all think about this?

Next, users seem to be unclear on what an addon is exactly. They just
installed the thing somehow, and some of them don't even know how to
remove it. Not sure there's much we can do about that...

There's some other points, but more minor. I'll report on them if
anything relevant stands out.

Thanks for your attention :-)

jonathan