Telemetry probes yielding relevant data

Ludovic Hirlimann ludovic at mozilla.com
Wed Oct 5 08:41:31 UTC 2011

On 05/10/11 10:32, Jonathan Protzenko wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Just a followup on the Telemetry work I did this summer. The telemetry
> opt-in patch landed right before the merge, which means there now is
> an opt-in bar on Thunderbird 10 and Thunderbird 9 (daily / c-c +
> earlybird / c-a). We now have ~80 people sending Telemetry data which
> you can read at
> <https://metrics.mozilla.com/pentaho/content/pentaho-cdf-dd/Render?solution=metrics&path=telemetry/&file=TelemetryHistogram.wcdf>
> assuming you have the right credentials.
>
> The three probes we have are:
> - THUNDERBIRD_GLODA_SIZE_MB : many people have a size of 1MB or less,
> which tends to make me think these people have Gloda disabled. I
> wonder how much of a correlation there is between being a tester and
> disabling Gloda; there's only one pathological user with a size that's
> greated than 1GB.
That would be me at :
localhost:hwprdu9c.default ludo$ ls -lh global-messages-db.sqlite
-rw-r--r--  1 ludo  staff   1.7G Oct  5 10:36 global-messages-db.sqlite

Can a few others with telemetry enabled double check that ?

> - THUNDERBIRD_CONVERSATIONS_TIME_TO_2ND_GLODA_QUERY : very few people
> reporting on that one, I think the Telemetry reporting code is not in
> the currently public version of Conversations, so I guess I need to
> make a new release
> - THUNDERBIRD_INDEXING_RATE_MSG_PER_S : the distribution is pretty
> smooth, and the mean seems to be around 30 messages per sec, although
> there's an alarmingly high number of people indexing 100 messages per
> sec; maybe we need to make the scale bigger (do they have SSDs?).

So would these numbers be screwed if say I would blow my db ?

Ludo

--
Thunderbird QA                                      https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird:Testing
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lhirlimann/  http://kiva.org/invitedby/ludovic7564