Feature tracking

Mark Banner mbanner at mozilla.com
Mon Oct 3 21:11:30 UTC 2011

With the increasing number of feature improvements that we are working
on for Thunderbird, we've decided to adopt a similar process to Firefox
of tracking ongoing feature work to help us drive them forward.

The feature pages are intended for us to be a lightweight system for
listing, prioritizing, defining and tracking new features towards
completion. At this early stage, we're still working out the system and
the exact processes/fields we want to use for Thunderbird.

For background information on the system, see this page:
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Features/Planning_and_Tracking

The process we're going to use is loosely based on
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Features/Lifecycle_of_a_feature

The product team (aka council) will consist of the engineering manager,
plus leads from the following areas: UX, development, architecture and
marketing. We may call on advice from others as well.

The rolls of the product team vary according to the state the feature is
in. At the initial stage, the team decides whether or not to accept the
feature in Thunderbird, at the later stages the team ensures that the
feature is progressing, and may review inclusion based on further
investigations, and finally that the feature is completed with all the
necessary reviews.

Here's where the tracking pages are, followed by some notes about how
things are different:

  * Overview page for Thunderbird:
    https://wiki.mozilla.org/Features/Thunderbird

This is a basic overview with what is being worked on, drafted, has been
completed or has been shelved.

  * Feature Inbox for Thunderbird:
    https://wiki.mozilla.org/Features/Thunderbird/Inbox

The product team will be looking at this regularly. In fact we'll be
looking at it tomorrow at 9am PDT. Details to follow.

  * Release tracking for Thunderbird:
    https://wiki.mozilla.org/Features/Thunderbird_Release_Tracking

This is what is currently targeted for a specific release, as always, it
is just the plan and may change.

As you'll see, some of the feature pages we've already been mentioning
are there, plus pages for some of the features we're currently working
on. We've not filled out full details for the in-work features - we're
using the pages to track the final bits of work and make sure everything
gets covered.

As always, comments and thoughts welcome.

Mark.