Testing Thunderbird 10 and/or Lightning

Ludovic Hirlimann ludovic at mozilla.com
Fri Nov 4 09:54:26 UTC 2011

Dear Thunderbird tester,

It's been a while since we had a testing event focused around
Thunderbird (1). Some of it was probably my fault as I needed to adjust
myself to the new release process we adopted since Thunderbird 5.0. .

It's time to spend a good amount of time testing Thunderbird with the
help of our users and casual testers. We will use litmus(2) as our main
testing tool. In litmus you will find groups of test (eg one for address
book, one for imap, one for news etc ..). Each group is made of one or
more tests that needs to be run. There are around 300+ test at the
moment for Thunderbird alone (this also tests the mailnews shared code
with seamonkey). My goals with this testing event is to get as much
coverage as possible(3).to do so I want to distribute the workload
between the participants. For that I would like you to sign up and tell
me that you want to participate to this event.

I _What is required to participate :_

  i)     An email account that can be used for testing,
  ii)    a litmus account (4),
  iii)   an account on bugzilla.mozilla.org (5)
  iv)   some time in the week of 13Th November to 20th November 2011

II _what will the workflow of this event look like_

    i)   You read this
    ii)   you reply to it - telling me you want to participate
    iii) On the day the event starts (times will be Central European
time) You'll receive an email with :
          a) what to test (eg groups of test I've assigned to you)
          b) a link to the test in litmus  (you'll need to pick the one
assigned to yourself)
          c) a bugzilla bug number which we will use to track bug found
during this event
          d) more detailed instructions on how to use litmus and
bugzilla (6), and where to reach us if you have issues during testing
          e) you organize yourself to run the tests when you have time
          f)  you do the tests and give us reports and file bugs if the
tests aren't successful

That's it. I will Post results in the middle and at the end of the event
- I will either do that by email or via a blog post.

III _Lightning_

We also want to do some intensive testing on Lightning (7), the workflow
would be the same, just make sure to let me know what testing you want
to do when you reply to me ( ie Thunderbird Only, Lightning only, both).

Ludo
(1) https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/
(2) https://wiki.mozilla.org/Litmus:Tutorial
(3) https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Code_coverage
(4) https://litmus.mozilla.org
(5) https://bugzilla.mozilla.org
(6) These instructions will be in an email - you can read the litmus
tutorial from (2) before the email arrives
(7) https://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/lightning/
--
Thunderbird QA
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lhirlimann/