Version number changes for Thunderbird

Tanstaafl tanstaafl at libertytrek.org
Tue May 31 14:04:10 UTC 2011

On 2011-05-30 10:40 PM, Unicorn.Consulting wrote:
> The one thing about this that I have not seen discussed anywhere is what
> it will do to addon comparability checking.
> Will add on developers also need to release a new version every 6 weeks?
> Will they simply start placing compatibility  entries showing 3 to 99?
> Will add on developers even bother?

I for one think this is silly, and am not looking forward to using
Thunderbird version 35, that isn't much better/different than version
3.1 was...

Come on guys... lets make changes that really matter, not just do
something just because someone else did it.

The second I heard that Firefox was going down this road, I groaned
inside, voicing in my head all of the negatives/downsides that have been
expressed here already.

The argument that users really don't know care what version they are on
is just as strong an argument *against* doing this as it is in favor of
it - but the arguments against it - the above one being one of the more
negatively impactful ones imnsho - are sound and numerous.