Version number changes for Thunderbird

Karsten Düsterloh mnyromyr at tprac.de
Thu May 26 22:06:50 UTC 2011

Mark Banner aber hob zu reden an und schrieb:
> Whilst we could have kept the same numbering system, or adopted a
> different one, we felt that matching Firefox would make it clearer
> for developers as to which version of Thunderbird was based on which
> gecko/Firefox version.

I outright doubt that this is solving any real-world problem.

Chrome-angst-driven version number frenzy might make (very limited, IMO)
sense for a competing browser, but do users really care about the Gecko
version of their _mail_ client?

I do understand, though, the assumed marketing "value" of pairing the
version number with FF. I just think it's nonsense. ;-)

> We'll also be de-emphasising the version numbers in our releases,

Well, you may do, but will the users? ;-)

Karsten