Thunderbird 3.1 and Miramar lifespans

Mark Banner mbanner at mozilla.com
Tue May 17 11:12:04 UTC 2011

On 02/05/2011 20:56, Micah Gersten wrote:
> I'm guessing that Miramar will be short lived, but I'm wondering how
> long support for 3.1 will last.  Is it tied to Gecko 1.9.2 lifetime or
> will it EOL earlier?
Sorry for the delay in responding.

We are currently planning that Miramar support will be ended when
Miramar.next is released - i.e. Miramar.next will be the security
update, just like FF 5 will be the update for FF 4.0.1.

It appears that Firefox are continuing the 1.9.2 releases for the time
being, I've been told this is until they've migrated enough users across
to the latest Firefox. I don't know what that timescale for that yet.

So for 3.1.x, we'll keep releases for now as we haven't pushed out
another major release. Once we do that, we'll see how fast the transfer
of users from 3.1 to Miramar happens. At the moment, I'd guess at
another two security releases as a minimum (one of those would be in
sync with the release of Miramar), although we could do more if we feel
it necessary.

Mark.