New Account Types directions - should SkinkGlue be core?

Kent James kent at caspia.com
Thu May 12 19:11:33 UTC 2011

On 5/12/2011 11:00 AM, Andrew Sutherland wrote:
> I am strongly under the impression that although rkent has open
> sourced his Twitter account type, the intent is not to provide an open
> source version of the Exchange account type.  Since rkent has not
> responded yet, I thought I'd nip (what I believe to be a
> misinterpretation) in the bud lest the confusion spread.
This is true.

There are several possible models for people to both work on
Thunderbird, and also support themselves doing so. I think that the
approach taken by Postbox and Spicebird (to fork and then try to
monetize the fork) is counterproductive in the long run. A much better
model IMHO is to mix contributing to the core code, with monetization of
an extension, which is the approach that I am pursuing.

Thunderbird is not Firefox, as the unsuccessful monetization plans that
had hoped to sustain MoMo show. We need a long-term plan to support
ourselves. Otherwise, we are at the mercy of decisions that Firefox
takes in being willing to share their income. I don't think we can
assume that their subsidization will continue forever.

I am under the impression that people who are long-term participants in
the Thunderbird project are generally supportive of my approach. I hope
that newer people who may come from a purer open-source perspective will
understand as well.

rkent