Phishing detection.

Ben Bucksch ben.bucksch at beonex.com
Wed May 4 10:56:12 UTC 2011

On 03.05.2011 18:31, Blake Winton wrote:
> There have been some people working on Thunderbird's phishing detector
> recently, and one of the things they brought up was Google's phishing
> lists.

I have contacts to GMX/Web.de (same company), which is the biggest mail
provider for our users, after GMail. Given that, they have an in-house
abuse team which is very agile. They have a Firefox toolbar which
includes a Phishing filter, list maintained by that abuse team.

The list is at <http://dl.web.de/backend/phish.txt>. P stands for "URL
prefix". The toolbar fetches it every 15 minutes. An XMPP realtime
broadcast is in the works; XMPP would make it faster than Google. Both
are simpler to implement than Google's protocol, which is very complex,
and our Firefox implementation is outright horrible for other reasons, too.

I don't know how the GMX abuse team compares to Google's phishing list,
but using that list could be an option.

Ben