Schedule and Mechanics for releasing Miramar

Mark Banner mbanner at mozilla.com
Mon May 2 13:49:26 UTC 2011

The drivers have been discussing the various mechanisms around releasing
Miramar. We're going to need to treat Miramar like the old-style
releases because we've effectively missed getting on the
central/aurora/beta/release train for Gecko 5 - if we try to do that
now, L10n would get about a week after string freeze before
localisations would have to be complete, which obviously isn't acceptable.

The good news is that we believe we can get Miramar released on the same
schedule as Gecko 5, and get the next version of Thunderbird up and
running on the release train for Gecko 6.

As I've already mentioned, we're going to treat Miramar in an old-style
way of releases. So we'll be creating new clones, releases/comm-miramar,
releases/mozilla-miramar and releases/l10n-miramar (I was thinking of
using -5.0 as the shared part of the name, but decided that would get
confusing as the real source of that is the release train repos).

Now to break down what is happening by dates, note that this doesn't
cover Thunderbird.next from Gecko 6.0 - I'll be doing a separate note
covering that.

First, here's a quick diagram to explain what's happening, notes on the
various periods are below.

  * Until May 10th:
      o comm-central and mozilla-aurora will be the main locations for
        Miramar checkins
      o During this period, build & release will work on getting
        comm-miramar and mozilla-miramar up and running.
          + We may also transition builders to this set up, if we can
            get automated pulls and pushes from comm-central to
            comm-miramar (should be easily doable).
  * May 10th: String & Feature Freeze
      o At this point comm-miramar will formally branch from comm-central
      o comm-central and mozilla-central will become the new nightly builds
      o comm-miramar, mozilla-miramar and l10n-aurora will be the
        Miramar repos at this stage
          + mozilla-miramar will be synced with whatever comes into
            mozilla-aurora
  * May 17th:
      o This is the merge of aurora to beta channel for Firefox
      o Here we change mozilla-miramar so that it is synced with
        mozilla-beta
      o The l10n repositories are changed to l10n-miramar, and those
        repositories get filled with the data from the l10n-aurora
        repositories at the Firefox aurora -> beta channel merge point
  * May 17th - 7th:
      o At this point we'll be releasing Miramar onto the beta channel,
        and may do multiple releases as appropriate
  * June 7th:
      o Initial Deadline for L10n changes
  * June 21st - 28th (exact date TBD):
      o Release Miramar