quasi-survey on writing mozmill tests for thunderbird

Andrew Sutherland asutherland at asutherland.org
Thu Mar 17 17:50:34 UTC 2011

Thanks very much for the input!  I'll try and act on all suggestions,
but I'll reply to two things right now where I think I can provide
immediately useful feedback:

On 03/17/2011 07:51 AM, Jonathan Protzenko wrote:
> Getting the environment setup wasn't hard to me, it's just that
> finding the right set of commands to launch a specific test requires
> plowing through MDC until you find the only line that tells you about
> the SOLO_TEST thingy. Plus, since Mozmill now launches a VNC server on
> linux, I had to build a small shell script that launches the test,
> waits three seconds, launches VNC and tells it it's actually local so
> there's no need to prompt me for the password, etc. That's not much,
> but I had to read quite a few man-pages to have a command line that's
> suitable for a quick edit-and-run dev cycle.

If you want to see what the tests are doing, you can disable the use of
vnc by setting the MOZMILL_NO_VNC environment variable to 1.  You will
need to do "export MOZMILL_NO_VNC=1" in your shell or do something like
"make SOLO_TEST=blah MOZMILL_NO_VNC=1 mozmill-one".

> Second, I'd love to see an official JSDoc thing for Thunderbird. I
> know you've got your own docs for Gloda for instance, on your
> visophyte server, but they're out of date, and only one page on MDC
> links to them. Maybe a central repository for all JSDoc generated from
> newer Thunderbird code would be valuable? That would allow one to
> quickly get an overview of all available functions in Mozmill helpers.
> If they were grouped by "what they do", that'd be fantastic. And maybe
> we could add in there documentation for all the gloda modules, for
> tabmail.xml, etc. etc.

The gloda docs in question are/were really out-of-date and I had
forgotten they exist; they pre-date the merge into Thunderbird proper.
I've just nuked them in the interest of avoiding confusion; things have
changed enough that any information you might have derived from them
would be dangerously misleading.

If anyone wants to have a go at seeing what the current JSDoc Toolkit or
other tools produce, that would be cool.  I could also see about
standing up docsploder again if there hasn't been a lot of couchdb
drift.  (Although jstut/narscribblus is a quasi-successor to docsploder,
its narcissus-based parser does not understand the JS1.7-isms used by
the gloda code-base or the E4X used elsewhere in Thunderbird code and so
is not an immediately viable option.)

Andrew