Update not working properly (by design)

Ben Bucksch ben.bucksch at beonex.com
Mon Mar 7 13:34:05 UTC 2011

In Summer 2009, for a friend, I did a good deed and installed
Thunderbird. It was 3.0 back then.

Now, by phone, I walked her through configuring a new email address, and
was confused, because TB didn't find the right config.

I quickly found that she was still using TB 3.0. That already is major
FAIL. Why's that happening?

Worse, I asked her to go to Help | Update..., it downloaded and
installed the update. We tried again, it again didn't work. I checked
the version again, and it was 3.0.10 - a higher version than before
(3.0.3 or something), but still 3.0!

Why is this broken updater updating to an EOLed release?

First, the user should be on 3.1.9 already without doing anything (other
than confirming the update). Second, when she *explicitly* requests to
update, it should always be the newest released version.

I have seen the same for Firefox in my older VMs, and shaked my head
there. But Firefox being just as broken is not an excuse, just a matter
of in which component to fix it.

We're leaving users with totally outdated, broken, hole-ridden versions.

Ben