hide redundant menu items when the menu is invoked by mouse

Steffen Wilberg steffen.wilberg at web.de
Thu Jun 30 19:36:26 UTC 2011

On 30.06.2011 20:33, Jim wrote:
 > On 06/30/2011 01:27 PM, Andreas Nilsson wrote:
 > That said, maybe
 > we should leave the menubar on by default but allow people to hide it
 > until we have a Firefox-style button.
+1

Firefox 4 cleaned up the traditional menubar quite a bit by hiding
redundant menu items when the user invokes the menu using the mouse.

Candidates for Thunderbird are:
File - New Message/Event/Task
File - Close
File - Get New Messages
Edit - Delete Message
Message - New Message
Message - Reply/to all/to List
Message - Forward
Message - Tag
Message - Archive
Tools - Address Book

Mouse users will prefer the corresponding toolbar buttons; keyboard
users still see those items and their keyboard shortcuts.
The Firefox bugs were bug 588011 and bug 626825.

 >> I agree with hiding the tabs by default.
We should also consider tabs on top, in the titlebar, like Firefox.

Steffen