Fwd: Re: <ExtensionName> and TB 5

Mark Banner mbanner at mozilla.com
Thu Jun 30 14:38:01 UTC 2011

On 30/06/2011 10:22, Gervase Markham wrote:
> This guy is not disconnected from the Mozilla community, or
> unresponsive. And yet the speed of our release did surprise him. His
> reply is below; I think it may help us learn some lessons.
Yes, we didn't do as good a job at communicating as we could have done
for the TB 5 release. Part of that was the quick switch to the rapid
release process, that was a lot to do in a short time, and we didn't
really communicate that switch too well either.

The good news is that we're already thinking about ways of improving our
communication to add-on authors, and also how we help them to keep up to
date in the new process.

> I think there should be an email sent out when the first Beta is
> released saying that the API is now frozen and it is time to update the
> extensions. And it should also very clearly state when they expect to
> release the final version so developers know how much time they have.
I don't know what blogs the developer follows, but could you point him
to the amo one in case he isn't on it already:
http://blog.mozilla.com/addons/

This had a post on about updating add-on compatibility, and did mention
the rough target time for the release - that post was at the start of
June just after the first beta. Though obviously, an email may have been
better to do at that time.

On the email front, we'll definitely look at what direct communications
we do - the add-on validator which bumps compatibility may help some of
this, and there's other ideas we're thinking about as well.

Thanks for the feedback,
Mark.