Too much glass…

Jim squibblyflabbetydoo at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 19:36:57 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 5:38 AM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl at libertytrek.org>
wrote:
> This is funny... here you all are, arguing over how to gain a little
> more UI space, and I *already* - with version 3.1.11 and two extensions
> - have a minimalist UI that provides *far* more room than your screen
> mockups, and provided working screenshots, and *not a single one of you*
> has commented on or otherwise asked me about them.

Alright, fine... assuming you're talking about this
<http://www.web2test.net/Minimal_UIs.swf>, the reason I haven't
commented on it is because I think it's a really, really bad idea to
incorporate into the default install. It is a *serious* violation of
ux-discovery for obvious reasons, but also violates:

* ux-feedback: hidden items can't provide any visual feedback
* ux-efficiency: now I have to move my mouse around instead of just
   glancing at part of the window
* ux-affordance: there's no indication whatsoever - except for the
   folder pane - that the various panes can be expanded until you mouse
   over the right area
* there's no UX keyword for this, but I imagine it would also cause
   serious issues for anyone who relies on keyboard navigation

I don't think it's worth it to sacrifice all of these things on the
altar of ux-minimalism, especially when you can already use nearly all
of the window space for a message just by opening the message in a new
tab. The only things that addon hides in addition are the main toolbar
and the message header, with the latter already being almost hideable
with the Compact Header extension.

- Jim