Too much glass…

Jb Piacentino jb at mozilla.com
Wed Jun 29 14:13:39 UTC 2011

I've tried (with my limited Gimp skills) to picture a layout I'd defend.

As Blake indicated, I'd suggest we address the too-much glass solely by
reducing the glass real estate and limiting it to the window title and
border. I understand this can be done really quickly (next release or
+1) and responds to the expressed grievances.

I would favor this option vs saving height by hiding the menu bar for
the following reasons:

- I'm not sure we should hide the menu just for the sake of having a
better looking Aero rendering. Adhering to Windows UI principles is of
course not bad per say, but it seems to me that should open a new
conversation on this topic, and not tackle it from a too-much-glass angle
- Along those lines, users might be confused (initially, or maybe for a
longer time) with the now-gone menu. Again, I'm not sure an aesthetic
issue should, all by itself, motivate a significant UI change.
- Add-on compatibility seems to be is a subject of its own and needs to
be considered carefully

I think we could have a discussion on reducing the height of the
menu+toolbar+tabbar, but again in a broader UI conversation (Windows
specific or not).

Jb