Too much glass…

Justin Wood (Callek) callek at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 01:35:07 UTC 2011

On 6/28/2011 4:44 PM, David Bienvenu wrote:

> I'd be OK with disabling menus on new profiles and doing the alt thing
> to show them. I know there are users who simply get a new machine and
> want their stuff to work like it did on the old machine, but that's
> less of an issue than getting a silent update and having your menus
> disappear :-) And I think we really want some sort of profile
> migration add-on or app to make it easier for people to move profiles
> from old machines

Before we go the route of hiding by default, I humbly ask you go through
your list of menu items and assure yourselves that if a relatively
clueless user had no idea that ALT + <release> would show the menu....
if they could do any and all essential functions of an
app/thunderbird/troubleshooting/etc.

I particularly worry for habits like "File->Exit", "File->Print" (more
common in e-mails than Browser), ... account settings, options, ... Help
(almost all items).

Also now having a win7 machine, having absoletely no menu is not common
in the apps I have used, except for video games (which have a more
splash-screen-like menu).

--
~Justin Wood (Callek)