Re: Summary of the situation with the composition process — thoughts wanted

Joshua Cranmer Pidgeot18 at verizon.net
Tue Jun 28 00:06:55 UTC 2011

On 6/25/2011 11:30 PM, Jonathan Protzenko wrote:
> - commitment towards this direction: "yes, this is something we need
> to do, let's have more people working on it", otherwise I don't feel
> like carrying the rewrite on my own, I don't have a broad enough set
> of skills (I'm bad at UI and UX, for instance), and this is too much
> work for a single person;

Part of the idea behind the progressive rewrite is to allow some
particularly hellish pieces of backend code to be rewritten by people
who don't have the comfort to handle the UI portions of the rewrite.
Definitely, I am supportive of the idea of a major compose rewrite, as
compose is one of the areas that (IMHO) critically needs to be
rewritten. I would volunteer to help, but time is an asset I find too
often in short supply right now...

At the very least, it seems prudent to have a roadmap of "this is what
we want the API to look like, and we will move chunks over to it as time
goes on".

> - a solution for the editor UI issue. Both rkent and ehsan made good
> points, rkent saying that "yes we have limited resources, so relying
> on an external editor might relieve the burden for us" (rephrasing
> here), and ehsan saying (rightly) that ckeditor might bring more
> problems than it solves.

I recall listening in to a debate on m.d.platform about potential
editors for one of the webtool thingies people are working. The general
conclusion I seem to recall is that the built-in gecko editor is pretty
much the only editor that has a decent accessibility story. So it sounds
like either way, we'll have major resource issues. As someone who likely
won't be the person working on this, it seems prudent to at least
prototype an external editor and see how much work that can entail, so
as best to determine how much work integrating another editor would be.

--
Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald E. Knuth