Re: Summary of the situation with the composition process — thoughts wanted

Jonathan Protzenko jonathan.protzenko at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 06:20:39 UTC 2011

On 06/21/2011 12:13 PM, Tanstaafl wrote:
> The way you worded it above makes it sound like a permanent loss of
> options...
Yes. And I do wish this could happen. Unless we're able to double our
staff, this profusion of options is costing us a lot. Can you imagine
how many hours I had to spend to make sure Thunderbird Conversations
complies with every possible setting in the Thunderbird world? I
discover new options every week. It took me one year to interact with
all the oddities that exist in the community. And yes, there are people
who are using these options. But these people know how email works, and
they know how to reach us (and me) when their favourite options breaks.
This situation is close to untenable. This is why I'm spending hours and
hours polishing Thunderbird Conversations, and why having compose in a
tab replicate all the options of the current composition workflow seems
out of reach for me.

This will sound blunt to you, and you (and probably others) will feel
outraged. But I do think we need to drop some options. I'm not trying to
troll, although this seems to be the mood right now in the community.
What I'm trying to say is: we need to be pragmatic. And my experience,
and the way I feel things is there's too many options.

Kind regards,

jonathan