Re: Summary of the situation with the composition process — thoughts wanted

Tanstaafl tanstaafl at libertytrek.org
Wed Jun 22 10:35:35 UTC 2011

On 2011-06-21 7:24 PM, David Bienvenu wrote:
> Enabling new ways of creating and sending messages is important. Yes,
> nsIMsgSend has a lot of [noscript] methods but if spending the couple
> days it would take to make it entirely scriptable would be helpful, we
> should do it.  In general, I'm all in favor of making things scriptable.
> And now that we have a rapid release schedule, there's less reason to
> work around non-scriptable interfaces and instead just fix them.  There
> are very few interfaces that are noscript for a good reason anywhere in
> the mailnews backend.

About the only thing I can contribute to this conversation is this...

Thunderbird needs these ancient-code problem areas (mainly the composer)
fixed far more than it needs sexy new features (like integrated chat
support).

Guys - it is first and foremost an email client - if you need to spend
*all* of your resources (except for what is needed to keep up with the
Gecko updates) for 3 solid *months* fixing the composer, then *just do
it*. Then, once it is done, you can start working on the sexy new
feature of the day.

Composing HTML messages (especially replying to them) in Thunderbird is
one of the most frustrating experiences I have ever had.