statusbar usage in the main UI

Unicorn.Consulting unicorn.consulting at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 11:07:46 UTC 2011

On 08/06/2011 7:53 AM, Chris Ilias wrote:
> On 11-06-07 12:00 PM, Tanstaafl wrote:
>> Please, listen to your users... some of us *like* the status bar.
>
> Of course Thunderbird developers want to listen to users, but I think
> it's best to stay away from making statements on behalf of all users.
> I'm a fellow user; if I disagree with you on something, how do we know
> who's right?
>
> This method of decision making seems very much based on opinions, when
> I think it would be better to gather metrics and use cases.
>
> For instance, are there any indications that users feel they are not
> getting enough vertical screen real estate?

If the complaints in Get Satisfaction (4175 referring to 'screen space'
that is over 8% of the total topics posted on that forum.) and the over
1 million downloads for the compact header addon are anything to go by
the answer is a resounding YES.

> In what cases do those instances occur?
Install an AV package and they will almost always install another space
grabbing toolbar that just can't be integrated.
Small Screens
Anyone using the message pane to read email (ME)

> If there is no data suggesting that it is an issue, why is there focus
> on creating more screen real estate?
Because the users started griping when TB 3 came out.  The volume went
up when Firefox cleaned up their UI.
The current TB UI looks windows 2000.  Mostly because it is.