statusbar usage in the main UI

Tanstaafl tanstaafl at libertytrek.org
Wed Jun 8 11:51:15 UTC 2011

On 2011-06-07 5:05 PM, Andreas Nilsson wrote:
> On 06/07/2011 06:00 PM, Tanstaafl wrote:
> Yes, I think enough extensions currently rely on the statusbar that it
> should be optional, just like it is in Firefox (and as present at the
> bottom of the mockup above).

Thank you Andreas, that is all I'm asking for... :)

>> As neadr said, there is much more wasted space at the top of the UI
>> where all of the toolbars are thans is used by the statusbar.

> And I think that we should fix those too.

The good news, they are already *easily* fixed - did you not look at the
screenshots I provided earlier showing my *current* minimalist UI?

Here's the link again: http://www.web2test.net/Minimal_UIs.swf

Right *now*, my Thunderbird UI has ZERO toolbars showing at the top. The
only thing above the Folder and Message Panes is the Window Titlebar
(well, also the Tab bar when I have the Calendar open). I currently have
all buttons on the Menu toolbar, but use the 'Autohide Menubar'
extension to keep it hidden until I mouseover the Window Titlebar.

This is incredibly useful, especially on netbooks and smaller screens.

Once the Gecko version TB is based on is 2+, then the two extensions I
use with Firefox to put *everything* into the Window Titlebar will be
able to support Thunderbird as well, according to the extension authors
('Movable Firefox Button' (if Thunderbird does something similar to the
Firefox button, which I like, otherwise I'll just use one of the
Tinymenu extensions) and 'Personal Titlebar' extensions)...

I also use the MailTweak extension (apparently abandoned by the author
I'm sad to say, because it provides some really awesome tweaks) to auto
hide/show the Folderpane too, although it is a bit awkward because it
doesn't put the folderpane in a panel, but instead, squeezes the rest of
the screen when it shows the Folder pane...