statusbar usage in the main UI

Chris Ilias tb-planning at ilias.ca
Tue Jun 7 22:23:59 UTC 2011

On 11-06-07 12:00 PM, Tanstaafl wrote:
> Please, listen to your users... some of us *like* the status bar.

Of course Thunderbird developers want to listen to users, but I think
it's best to stay away from making statements on behalf of all users.
I'm a fellow user; if I disagree with you on something, how do we know
who's right?

This method of decision making seems very much based on opinions, when I
think it would be better to gather metrics and use cases.

For instance, are there any indications that users feel they are not
getting enough vertical screen real estate? In what cases do those
instances occur? If there is no data suggesting that it is an issue, why
is there focus on creating more screen real estate?

I realize data is hard to come by, but it seems like a more worthwhile
discussion than what the codename should be and what the versioning
should be. I think if the right bugs got fixed, users wouldn't care what
version number it is. :)