Code names for Aurora builds

John Thomsen john.thomsen at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 17:36:23 UTC 2011

On 2011-06-06 23:40, Mark Banner wrote:
> The Nightly/Aurora/Beta/Release brandings of Firefox are designed to
> imply emerging features coming through the channels. We'd like to keep a
> sense of that for Thunderbird as well.
>
> So we need a new code name. Drivers had a chat about this a while ago,
> and we came up with Borealis

IMHO, Borealis is too close to Borrelia [1]

> If anyone has any more suggestions, please let us know.

I suggest replacing:
Nightly/Aurora/Beta/Release

with:
Nightbird/Corona/Beta/Release

Because Nightbird as a contraction of Nightly and Thunderbird relates to
both and the result, night bird, actually makes sense. The name is also
easy to remember.

Corona [2] is the "aurora" of e.g the Sun. The syntax of the word is
also similar to that of its peer, which makes life easier in a number of
situations.

Finally, the two names together implies emerging features.

My best shots. Take good care of them ;)

Regards,
John

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borrelia
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corona