statusbar usage in the main UI

Andreas Nilsson nisses.mail at home.se
Tue Jun 7 12:43:42 UTC 2011

On 05/19/2011 06:28 PM, neandr wrote:
> Maybe there are other, better contributions for "some vertical space"?!
> A much more efficient approach would be to change / modernize the
> whole "main UI" concept.
> Today from the UI top down to the first message line in the
> threadPaneContext we have the UI title and 5 (!) menu bars (main,
> tool, tabs, the folder header & filter menu bar (if switched on),
> threadPaneContext header line). To redesign this could bring much more
> vertical space compared to the little statusbar height.
I really want to fix that too, but it's quite some more work.
Implementing stuff like the Firefox one-button approach is high on my
wishlist, but a slightly harder nut to crack (need to run testpilot in
order to figure out what menus people use the most etc.). Ideally we
would have both fixed.
Moving some of the status bar functions to other places would win us at
least 20 pixels and removal of (most of the time) dead space.

The mockup is now updated to reflect IMAP quota, url hover and addons bar.
http://www.andreasn.se/diverse/temp/sans-statusbar.png

- Andreas