Version number changes for Thunderbird

Tanstaafl tanstaafl at libertytrek.org
Fri Jun 3 11:49:14 UTC 2011

On 2011-06-02 9:59 PM, Joshua Cranmer wrote:
> On 06/02/2011 06:27 PM, Jonathan Protzenko wrote:
>>> The fact is, no other open source software
>>> ratchets their version numbers up like this - quite the opposite in
>>> fact.

>> jonathan at ramona:~ $ xterm -v
>> XTerm(269)

> The installed packages I have with version numbers greater than 10,
> excluding obviously year-based package numbers:
> python-twisted (11)
> build-essential (11)
> preview-latex-style (11)
> libportaudio2 (19)
> psmisc (22)
> wireless-tools (30)
> x-ttcidfont-conf (32)
> udev (167)
> xterm (269)
> less (443)

Ok, point taken - some smaller, single purpose projects like these -
most with only one or two maintainers for the life of the project - may
choose to go by patch level for simplicity's sake...

I'm talking large, cross-platform projects, with multiple maintainers -
you simply cannot equate the two cases like that.

> That is 10 projects right there with large version numbers. Of course,
> you have to take into account that a very large amount of open source
> software never even makes it up 1.0...

Right...