New Account Types directions - should SkinkGlue be core?

Robert Kaiser KaiRo at KaiRo.at
Fri Jun 3 15:25:17 UTC 2011

Kent James schrieb:
> On 6/3/2011 4:37 AM, Robert Kaiser wrote:
>> (I personally also think that ultimately, Thunderbird needs to be able
>> to run integrated within Firefox if it wants to survive, but that
>> might just be myself dreaming things up.)
> I'm with you here. When the Thunderbird grows up and becomes a Swan,
> then we will have SwanFox as the integration.
>
> Ever since I wrote "Lessons from Google: Thunderbird as a Firefox
> extension!"
> <http://mesquilla.com/2010/06/01/lessons-from-google-thunderbird-as-a-firefox-extension/>
> I've been convinced that is the correct strategy. Any cat herders out
> there able to organize us in this direction?

My "RMD" idea - http://wiki.kairo.at/wiki/RMD - was my try to get some
infrastructure up that could support that, basically by getting a
completely new in-tab Firefox add-on UI and organizational system into
place that would base on pluggable modules. It would be defined
primarily around web-based messaging systems like feeds and
twitter/status.net (using so different schemes is intentional) for
starting experimentation, but keep in mind that it should be extendable
to potentially support traditional as well as not-yet-invented messaging
systems as well. It would run completely in the browser, be able to use
app tabs, yadda, yadda.
Yes, this would be a complete interface rewrite, taking lessons from the
current mailnews UI into account, potentially reusing some good pieces
of code, but not fearing to build stuff really differently.
This might be something for an independent add-on dev, for Mozilla Labs,
or whatever - I didn't manage to get it into GSoC due to Mozilla having
limited slots (we had 3-4 students wanting to take it, though) and I
don't have the time to work on an actual implementation myself. Also,
I'm better in doing concepts than writing code. ;-)

Still, this all leads far away from the actual topic of the thread, I
guess, and potentially even from what this list is for - though
messaging people are now a part of Labs... ;-)

Robert Kaiser