New Account Types directions - should SkinkGlue be core?

Robert Kaiser KaiRo at KaiRo.at
Fri Jun 3 11:37:52 UTC 2011

David Bienvenu schrieb:
> I'd still really like to have a mechanism for adding content to
> Thunderbird that wasn't so closely tied to the existing heavyweight
> folder+server+url classes. That mechanism could simply provide simple
> hooks for getting the content into a pluggable store that looks like a
> local mailbox to Thunderbird and the pluggable store could deal with
> getting the content.

If Thunderbird is serious about the basic idea that was behind
Netscape's and Mozilla's MailNews module from the beginning, then all
message sources should be in a UI that is as unified as possible while
providing most of the specific upsides of each as well.
Right now, that's most the case, though Thunderbird is as I understand
falling apart visually at times due to the new experiments like faceted
search etc. not fitting the style of the rest of the UI as smoothly as a
UI designer would want it to be.

I think what Thunderbird would need is to have all, including the
traditional, message types go through scriptable and more lightweight
and pluggable interfaces.
(I personally also think that ultimately, Thunderbird needs to be able
to run integrated within Firefox if it wants to survive, but that might
just be myself dreaming things up.)

Robert Kaiser