Version number changes for Thunderbird

Jeff Grossman jeff at stikman.com
Thu Jun 2 13:27:29 UTC 2011

On 6/1/2011 11:39 AM, Nikolay Shopik wrote:
> On 26.05.2011 22:06, Mark Banner wrote:
>>
>> Therefore, we will be renumbering the current work in progress releases
>> as follows:
>>
>>   * Thunderbird 3.3 (aka Miramar) will become Thunderbird 5.0 (based on
>>     gecko 5.0).
>>   * The builds which will be produced from comm-aurora (where we merged
>>     to last Tuesday), will become Thunderbird 6.0.
>>   * The builds from comm-central which are currently numbered 3.4a1pre
>>     will become Thunderbird 7.0.
>
> Having browser versionless isn't that bad, but email client isn't
> suppose to be versionless because standards here isn't moving that
> fast. And surface for attack is much less than in browser.
>
> I'm all for bring new features for users faster (Release early,
> release often), but in current state/timing it could be bring more
> damage than good.

I am not sure I agree with that 100%.  I think as more people/companies
are moving to e-mail marketing using HTML and XHTML, we need to make
sure the HTML/XHTML (Gecko in this case) is always kept as up to date as
possible.  The only way to do that is to keep upgrading Thunderbird in
connection with Gecko.

Jeff