The purpose of tb-planning.

Blake Winton bwinton at mozilla.com
Thu Jun 2 14:06:25 UTC 2011

On 11-06-02 9:49 , Jeff Grossman wrote:
> On 6/2/2011 6:14 AM, Mark Banner wrote:
>> The reason I use tb-planning for a lot of these things, is that
>> because they are actually planning related. In the case of the version
>> information, we needed to announce it to developers and the closer
>> Thunderbird community (so that they would know what is happening with
>> the change of version numbers), and before we had time/opportunity to
>> announce it to the wider audience.
>>
> The moderation part of tb-planning worries me a little bit in this
> regard though. Luckily Blake has not cancelled any posts (or at least I
> have not seen it) which he feels should not be dealt with here. But, he
> has said that he feels he went and approved too many posts already that
> should not have been approved because they are not moving the project
> further.

Fortunately for everyone, I'm not the only moderator.  :)  That's
important because the other moderators don't necessarily agree with me,
and most of the messages in the thread were moderated by them, so even
if I cancelled all the posts I came across, it wouldn't have changed
that much.

> If something would be announced on the announce list, but
> somebody felt like they needed to discuss it and brought it here to
> tb-planning and Blake (or the moderators in this case) decided to cancel
> the post because it was a decision already made that does not need any
> discussion, then there is no avenue to discuss the change that was
> announced. (Sorry for that run on sentence).

Well, there would still be your own blog, mdat, Mozillazine,
GetSatisfaction…  ;)  But yes, I see your point.

> I think we should keep tb-planning and use it as much as possible to
> keep these types of discussions alive. I understand that some of the
> announcements might not be up for debate as such, but it still good to
> hear about other peoples opinions that might not have been thought off.
> Decisions that are made can always be changed if it is for the better of
> the project.

Yeah, perhaps the best idea _is_ to keep tb-planning the way it is,
mostly.  What do you all think about keeping tb-planning mostly open,
but asking people to re-write their posts if they aren't adding useful
information?  (i.e. new opinions and facts would be welcomed, but "me
too" posts and posts which are just complaining and not offering
suggestions would be asked to be re-written?)

Thanks,
Blake.
--
Blake Winton   Thunderbird Front End