The purpose of tb-planning.

Mark Banner mbanner at mozilla.com
Thu Jun 2 13:14:18 UTC 2011

On 02/06/2011 02:01, Blake Winton wrote:
>> But there's a difference between „we're planning X, we would like to
>> know how you feel about, and announce our decision“ and „we decided X,
>> and we don't care what you say“.
>
> I agree, and I think we should keep the "we decided X" posts off this
> forum, because there isn't much useful conversation we can have about
> them.  (On the other hand, the "we're planning X" threads I've read
> have been very helpful, and I would like to see more of them.)

The reason I use tb-planning for a lot of these things, is that because
they are actually planning related. In the case of the version
information, we needed to announce it to developers and the closer
Thunderbird community (so that they would know what is happening with
the change of version numbers), and before we had time/opportunity to
announce it to the wider audience.

I'm also well aware that not everyone reads the blog posts that we do or
the status meeting minutes, so having it in multiple places including
tb-planning seems better. You also see exactly this happening with
various things that get messaged on mozilla.dev.planning.

My concern with a separate announce list is that it would mean that we'd
end up with two lists for everyone interested to subscribe to. It would
also mean that people couldn't as easily ask a quick question if there's
something that is ambiguous or needs more detail in the announcement,
although in that case they might end-up asking on tb-planning anyway.

Mark.