Version number changes for Thunderbird

Nikolay Shopik shopik at inblock.ru
Wed Jun 1 18:39:26 UTC 2011

On 26.05.2011 22:06, Mark Banner wrote:

> Therefore, we will be renumbering the current work in progress releases
> as follows:
>
>   * Thunderbird 3.3 (aka Miramar) will become Thunderbird 5.0 (based on
>     gecko 5.0).
>   * The builds which will be produced from comm-aurora (where we merged
>     to last Tuesday), will become Thunderbird 6.0.
>   * The builds from comm-central which are currently numbered 3.4a1pre
>     will become Thunderbird 7.0.

Having browser versionless isn't that bad, but email client isn't
suppose to be versionless because standards here isn't moving that fast.
And surface for attack is much less than in browser.

I'm all for bring new features for users faster (Release early, release
often), but in current state/timing it could be bring more damage than good.