The purpose of tb-planning.

Ben Bucksch ben.bucksch at beonex.com
Thu Jun 2 12:29:17 UTC 2011

On 02.06.2011 04:00, Blake Winton wrote:
> still letting people know about the things that have already been
> decided without having everyone waste their time and energy debating them.

FWIW, I currently do that by just reading the headers (of the thread
starters) of the tb-planning posts. That's why I don't consider
tb-planning to be "noisy".

> We have a number of other communication channels that I think you will
> want to follow, if you want to get the flow of information.
> http://planet.mozillamessaging.com/ and the weekly agendas you mention

FWIW, that doesn't work for me, it costs way too much time. planet has a
hundred contributors posting all kinds of stuff, and agenda has what
each person did each week, I don't need to know that.

I just want to know about important Thunderbird project decisions,
before you made up your mind, and to be able to get involved, if I think
I can give input. I think all important (not day-to-day) decisions
should be discussed on tb-planning first. Project leads may sometimes
veto and not take the majority opinion here, but not even consulting us
is stating that we're irrelevant.

>  what do you think about a read-only tb-announce list, where we don't
> plan or discuss things, but instead post about decisions that have
> been made (either by the tb-planning list, or the drivers, or forced
> on us by other projects)?

Sounds like a good idea! I'd call it tb-dev-announce, though.
tb-announce should be targetted at end-users and handled by Rafael and
show the new features in a new release.