Version number changes for Thunderbird

Mark Banner mbanner at mozilla.com
Thu Jun 2 09:09:11 UTC 2011

On 02/06/2011 02:27, Jim wrote:
> On 06/01/2011 08:19 PM, Leni Mayo wrote:
>> Just to note that addons not hosted at AMO won't have access to AMO's
>> auto-bumping-maxVersion mechanism. I wonder what non-amo-hosted firefox
>> addons have done to avoid having to release every six weeks.
It doesn't actually have to be every six weeks, although that would
probably be the ideal. Once a release is on aurora channel we are frozen
in terms of API and feature changes, and so an extension has about 12
weeks before the release of Thunderbird. Since aurora and beta overlap,
it is possible that an author could merge two separate update cycles
into one.

We'll be monitoring the add-ons situation over all the releases and will
be keeping an eye on what is happening there.

> In that case, just set your maxVersion to something huge, like 9999.0. :)
That shouldn't be encouraged unless you're going to guarantee you'll
test each version before a new Thunderbird release. In the past we've
had extensions that have incorrectly declared compatibility and have a
result have totally broken Thunderbird when users have upgraded, and
then we've had to blocklist the bad versions.

Mark.