The purpose of tb-planning.

Jeff Grossman jeff at stikman.com
Thu Jun 2 01:21:59 UTC 2011

On 6/1/2011 6:01 PM, Blake Winton wrote:
> On 11-06-01 20:23 , Karsten Düsterloh wrote:
>> Blake Winton aber hob zu reden an und schrieb:
>>> This isn't a place where everyone gets to decide everything about
>>> Thunderbird.
>> I don't think anyone expects this, realistically.
>
> Well, it's sort of been treated that way for a little while.  And it
> seems to me like it's worth re-iterating that it's not.
>
>> But there's a difference between „we're planning X, we would like to
>> know how you feel about, and announce our decision“ and „we decided X,
>> and we don't care what you say“.
>
> I agree, and I think we should keep the "we decided X" posts off this
> forum, because there isn't much useful conversation we can have about
> them.  (On the other hand, the "we're planning X" threads I've read
> have been very helpful, and I would like to see more of them.)

I understand they aren't necessarily helping move us forward, but I
think the communication channel needs to continue with the community.
If you decide to stop accepting posts because they are not moving us
forward how is this information going to get out to the community?  If
you stop this flow of information you are only hurting the community.

>> And there's a difference between „we decided“ and „we were forced“, of
>> course.
>
> It's hard to tell which side of that difference things fall on
> sometimes.  :)
>
>>> Reading Dan's original intentions for the list, I now slightly regret
>>> approving some of the messages in the version number thread, since,
>>> while they contained interesting viewpoints, they generally weren't
>>> helping us get work done.
>> That translates to „sink or swim, you only matter if you agree“?
>
> For the version number thread, I haven't seen a lot of responses which
> are helping us get work done.  (And to be clear, I regret approving
> the posts which agree with the decision, too, since they don't help us
> move forward either.)  Out of the 21 posts, I could only find a couple
> of constructive ones, and that's not a great ratio…

Like I said, it is a good communication channel.  I have not seen any
other Thunderbird communication channel about what is going on.  Reading
the weekly agendas really doesn't help much.  There is not much detail
there.

I understand the Thunderbird developers are short-staffed and
overworked, but don't remove the one avenue where I think most
communication is happening.

> Thanks,
> Blake.

Jeff