Version number changes for Thunderbird

Rafael Ebron rebron at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 01:14:54 UTC 2011

On 6/1/11 5:11 PM, Karsten Düsterloh wrote:
> Rafael Ebron aber hob zu reden an und schrieb:
>> And users care that they're using the latest Thunderbird, not
>> Thunderbird 3.1.10.
> Well, do they really?
Yes.  For example, Gmail users don't know what version number they're
on.  They're just using Gmail. And the Gmail team (and Yahoo and
Hotmail) are able to push features without having to use version
numbers.  "Google Chrome" is another example.
> Since we all just assume certain user expectation, you seem to have hard
> data to back your claims?
We have surveys and data.  But if we assumed that users want the latest
and greatest software we could give them, is that a bad assumption to make?
> (And how would anybody know it's „the latest Thunderbird“ without a
> version number?)
About Thunderbird.  "Thunderbird is up to date".

>> We do need to save users from version marketing.
> This sentence, at least, is the real culprit:
> Obviously, you _do_ know that users care for version numbers, and you
> seem to feel that „the competition“ is better at that …
> (And while this may even be true for Firefox, I don't see any version
> number frenzy in „the mail client market“ (if there'd one at all, that
> is).)

No, the obvious part and the competition part are wrong.  That was not
the intent of that sentence.

>> Should I really know that I'm running Android 2.3.4 Cupcake,
>> Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich; Mac OS X 10.6.7 Lion, Snow Leopard,
>> Hedgehog; Windows Vista, 7, 8? Ugh!
> Yes, you should, and you even do elsewhere in reality.
No I shouldn't.

Here's some reality.  I drive a 2005 BMW X3 not a GM.  There's at least
two computers on board, one for driving and one for BMW
Assist/Bluetooth.  I can't tell you what OS they run, what version is
running on them, but I can tell you that the last time I went to the
shop, I was updated to the latest versions.  Cool.  Great.

Just like Ford Sync:
http://www.ford.com/technology/sync/
> You don't just drive „the latest GM“.
> And assuming that everybody will be using the latest version of a
> program is naive at best (especially given how many users are still
> using TB2, because they don't like TB3).
I'm not assuming that everybody will be using the latest version.  Plus
we have data.  86.5% of our users are on the latest version of Thunderbird.

>> Our users don't care about version numbers, they care about using
>> "Thunderbird" and using the latest.
> Again: proof, assumption, or just wishful thinking?
Experience.  Proof.  Talking to our users and potential users on a
regular basis.

-Rafael