The purpose of tb-planning.

Blake Winton bwinton at mozilla.com
Thu Jun 2 01:01:14 UTC 2011

On 11-06-01 20:23 , Karsten Düsterloh wrote:
> Blake Winton aber hob zu reden an und schrieb:
>> This isn't a place where everyone gets to decide everything about
>> Thunderbird.
> I don't think anyone expects this, realistically.

Well, it's sort of been treated that way for a little while.  And it
seems to me like it's worth re-iterating that it's not.

> But there's a difference between „we're planning X, we would like to
> know how you feel about, and announce our decision“ and „we decided X,
> and we don't care what you say“.

I agree, and I think we should keep the "we decided X" posts off this
forum, because there isn't much useful conversation we can have about
them.  (On the other hand, the "we're planning X" threads I've read have
been very helpful, and I would like to see more of them.)

> And there's a difference between „we decided“ and „we were forced“, of
> course.

It's hard to tell which side of that difference things fall on
sometimes.  :)

>> Reading Dan's original intentions for the list, I now slightly regret
>> approving some of the messages in the version number thread, since,
>> while they contained interesting viewpoints, they generally weren't
>> helping us get work done.
> That translates to „sink or swim, you only matter if you agree“?

For the version number thread, I haven't seen a lot of responses which
are helping us get work done.  (And to be clear, I regret approving the
posts which agree with the decision, too, since they don't help us move
forward either.)  Out of the 21 posts, I could only find a couple of
constructive ones, and that's not a great ratio…

Thanks,
Blake.
--
Blake Winton   Thunderbird Front End