Version number changes for Thunderbird

Karsten Düsterloh mnyromyr at tprac.de
Thu Jun 2 00:11:38 UTC 2011

Rafael Ebron aber hob zu reden an und schrieb:
> And users care that they're using the latest Thunderbird, not
> Thunderbird 3.1.10.

Well, do they really?
Since we all just assume certain user expectation, you seem to have hard
data to back your claims?
(And how would anybody know it's „the latest Thunderbird“ without a
version number?)

> We do need to save users from version marketing.

This sentence, at least, is the real culprit:
Obviously, you _do_ know that users care for version numbers, and you
seem to feel that „the competition“ is better at that …
(And while this may even be true for Firefox, I don't see any version
number frenzy in „the mail client market“ (if there'd one at all, that
is).)

> Should I really know that I'm running Android 2.3.4 Cupcake,
> Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich; Mac OS X 10.6.7 Lion, Snow Leopard,
> Hedgehog; Windows Vista, 7, 8? Ugh!

Yes, you should, and you even do elsewhere in reality.
You don't just drive „the latest GM“.
And assuming that everybody will be using the latest version of a
program is naive at best (especially given how many users are still
using TB2, because they don't like TB3).

> Our users don't care about version numbers, they care about using
> "Thunderbird" and using the latest.

Again: proof, assumption, or just wishful thinking?

Karsten