Version number changes for Thunderbird

Rafael Ebron rebron at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 23:10:19 UTC 2011

Hey Ben,

We'll be communicating with reporters the changes and features in
Thunderbird and it'll be feature driven rather than using versions to
drive news.  We'll continue to take care of our relationship with the
press and bloggers regarding new releases.

Using versioning in marketing has run its course.  From a practical
standpoint, Thunderbird + version number is a sub-brand that we have to
market which takes away from focusing on "Thunderbird".  And users care
that they're using the latest Thunderbird, not Thunderbird 3.1.10.

We do need to save users from version marketing.  Android, Mac OS X,
Windows, Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox, iTunes, Ubuntu.  Should I
really know that I'm running Android 2.3.4 Cupcake, Gingerbread, Ice
Cream Sandwich; Mac OS X 10.6.7 Lion, Snow Leopard, Hedgehog; Windows
Vista, 7, 8? Ugh!

Our users don't care about version numbers, they care about using
"Thunderbird" and using the latest.  And I don't think we should make
them care about software + version numbers.

-Rafael