Bug 80713, Gecko politics

Joshua Cranmer Pidgeot18 at verizon.net
Mon Jul 4 07:01:56 UTC 2011

On 07/04/2011 02:09 AM, Jonathan Protzenko wrote:
> - if we were to rewrite libmime, we'd probably want HTML parts to be
> in their own iframes, rather than having to process the html to make
> it fit in the bigger html chunk of the whole message,
Also wonderful here would be sandboxed iframes, which (barring Gecko
bugs) would disable script rather than relying on our current approach
of sanitizing HTML.
> I remember reading an old thread on m.d.planning where Gecko devs
> explicitly stated that Gecko was "the rendering engine for Firefox",
> not other projects (can't find the exact quotation, though), and they
> were not interested in fixing bugs / blocking releases on bugs that
> didn't have a direct impact to / relationship with Firefox.

Well, <iframe seamless> is an HTML 5 feature, and it's one which we know
to be not useless. So it's a feature which helps Firefox, just not to
the same degree that it helps Thunderbird.