Can I have some hints for async operation of the address book?

Kent James kent at caspia.com
Wed Jan 19 00:08:27 PST 2011

The normal address book interfaces like nsIAbDirectory don't seem to
have any support for async operation. I need at least a little though,
and surely it must exist for the LDAP implementation. Could I have some
hints about how this is normally done?

I picture something like this. When a directory is selected in the ab
tree, normallyall of the cards in the directory are enumerated sync
(http://mxr.mozilla.org/comm-1.9.2/source/mailnews/addrbook/src/nsAbView.cpp#219)
I don't really want to do that in my EWS case because the listing of
address cards would be an sqlite query.

So presumably I could let that first enumerate return nothing, do my
async work to enumerate the cards, and then when I am done with that
call into the listing view on the right hand side of the address book,
and ask it to display all of the cards that I now can show. Does that
make sense?

rkent