Using opacity to synthesize themed colors

Bryan Clark clarkbw at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 10:39:15 PST 2011

Wanted to get back to this.

The system colors only provide the most basic spectrum of colors we want. To
create an interface that doesn't look 1990s we at least need some variants
of those system colors. For instance greytext is the only way to try to show
secondary text and often, like with the headers, it doesn't give good
contrast. It would be better to use the regular text color with some opacity
to soften it.

I do think it would be important to create a couple of tested levels of
opacity.  We shouldn't be grabbing random values.

Jim's work on the account central shows this well.

Bryan
On Jan 30, 2011 2:13 AM, "Jonathan Protzenko" <jonathan.protzenko at gmail.com>